Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Surprise in Port Dover

I was visiting in Port Dover, where I had never been before, and which struck me as a rather sleepy little town, mainly populated by grey-haired retirees. It has a few gems--a pretty good restaurant and a community theatre better than one had any right to expect, for example. There's a boating community and a conservation area nearby, and a few of the usual tourist places. Not a place where one would expect a lot of excitement.

However, last Thursday night, I became aware of a growing roar of engines. Motorcycles started arriving in tow
n, a few at a time, then a lot, then hoards. The picture was taken on the main street just before noon on Friday. Friday, the 13th of June. I don't know if these gulls were just waiting to take in the show. :) I didn't know there were that many bikes in the world. And why are they here? There's a tradition, I discovered, of bikers gathering in Port Dover every time there is a Friday the 13th. Why Port Dover? I haven't had a good explanation of the reason for this. It's just something that happens. Apparently, a few guys got together and decided.

I imagine that should a Friday the 13th occur in January, fewer enthusiasts would arrive, but at this particular event, the CBC estimated 25000 bikes, a world record for the most motorcycles coming to one event. I was impressed.

No comments: